View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

For me, Cleric is one of the only classes where I would definitely just go min/max route and pick High Elf because of the highest starting WIS (WIS is the stat for priest classes that determines your mana pool). You're primarily a healer (except in some areas where you could solo against undead) so you want as much mana as possible. CHA is a decent side stat for Clerics because you can use "Lull" to reduce mob aggro radius and get through dungeons for corpse runs/resurrecting people), but other than CHA you want that higher WIS. Now, at end game you will probably be able to boost your WIS significantly with gear, so does that extra like 12-20 points of WIS at start really matter? Probably not, but for awhile while you're leveling up it will...and if you're ever gonna solo on undead you definitely want as much mana as you can get.

Bellamy mentioned Human Innorruuk, which is also a good choice because you can get some pretty good gear that only Humans (plus like one or two other races) and/or Inny worshippers can use, but as Nuggie mentions High Elves get pretty good Tunare only gear eventually (if you worship Tunare obviously) and IMO that gear is overall better than what you'd get as a Human/Inny worshipper. Not to mention, if you're a brand new player starting with an evil deity as your god might be a little tough; deity is one of the things that determines your faction with NPCs and, while Human as a race won't affect it negatively, Inny is an evil deity so there may be places (even in your starting city) where certain NPCs will kill you or at least not be willing to interact with you...so I wouldn't go evil deity if you've never played before.