View Single Post
Old 07-31-2022, 04:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeboim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone loves watermelon and fried chicken, but historically (Jim Crow, post Reconstruction era etc) and even now in less... informed... parts of the country, they are considered major staples of an African American diet. This is because post-emancipation African Americans in the South were typically very, very poor, and watermelon is an extremely easy crop to grow in the South while also being one of the more dessert like foods available to poor people. Chickens are well... Chickens, anyone can keep a few Chickens easily. Fried Chicken was one of the high points of the week. Hence it has persisted as a racial stereotype, even if it is one of the more harmless ones. That's why you also see many, many assorted memes about Fried Chicken restaurants.

So yeah, my experience with DMO was less KKK racist or anything even particularly offensive and more just... the subtext racism of awkward white guy nerds who thought they were clever.
Ah thank you for explaining the water melon thing. That fruit is expensive in my ends! I would have never imagined it implied poverty.

EDIT: obviously where i’m from we don’t learn much american history as it’s not too relevant/ we have plenty of our own / world history to study.

We did learn about depression era america though - was the ‘chicken for every pot’ meant to appeal to aa voters cos chicken or was it an implied racism as the chicken was implied to be for boil/stew not frying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It just reminded me of touch grass [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ah haha yes i get it now, thank you for explaining ‘[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Last edited by Jimjam; 07-31-2022 at 04:27 PM..