View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Having played a Warrior in the past you know what it can do, and what it can't. Depending on what you mean in describing yourself as "casual,", the Warrior's significant experience advantage over the Shadow Knight should not be forgotten. You seem to genuinely prefer the Warrior class so that's what you probably ought to pick. Besides, there's no reason you can't make one of each.

Danth
Yeah, pretty familiar with Warrior, although the above advice is great for anyone looking at starting a Warrior.

As a "casual", what I mean is that my playtimes are completely erratic, varying from 10 minutes to the occasional 3-4 hour marathon. On average, I tend to game for an hour or 2 at a time a few days a week (I work shift work, so it varies). As a result, the solo advantages of SK certainly make that class appealing.

That said, Warrior still appeals to me partially for nostalgia reasons. I guess what the issue boils down to for me is that I used to main a Ranger and loved the dual-wielding dps as well as the versatility of the class, but disliked the squishiness of him. I would often push the boundaries on what people expected Rangers to do, and would do regularly put together no-Cleric groups in Chardok (the updated zone); or duo'ing with an SK in Siren's; or soloing in WW (Tantor; hounds). But I was still quite squishy when placed under fire, and for that I was occasionally frustrated.

With P1999, I'm tempted to switch it up a bit, so Warrior provides the dual-wielding aspect with a bit more toughness thrown in (and with equipment, I can replicate a lot of what Ranger offered - snare weapons, Jboots for SoW, Cobalt greaves / Incarn. BP for invis, Truncheon / Willsapper / Wavecrasher to replace Earthcaller / Swarmcaller, etc.) but would take much more work to get all of those. SK offers similar versatility with a few extra tricks, but I give up the dual-wielding for sword + board or 2H weapons.

Tough call, really. The obvious answer is to go SK, given my schedule, but I can't completely ignore the lure of Warrior either. And, as you mentioned, the faster levelling as Warrior is certainly a temptation. Grrrr... I may end up doing what you suggested and making one of each [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]