View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 09:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxarcule [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know doing a bow ranger (especially pre-kunark/velious) may be tedious but it's something that I've been itching to try for some reason. Still going strong with my wizard for now so I probably have some time until the urge sinks in, but something about the unorthodox play style appeals to me
I get it, but it will appeal to you for about 3 mobs.

The unorthodox playstyle of a ranger comes from its versatility, not so much the ability to bow-kite. Harmony-pulling singles out of Mistmoore or Unrest, tanking for your group... shit, here comes a roamer... swap targets and rootpark. Wizard just overnuked and got aggro, no problem... flame licked back onto you. Nice, a warrior just joined the group... shit, he can't hold aggro. Cast root or swap to Ebony Bladed Swords and proc root for him. Got a runner... uh oh... no problem, snared. Wizard's at 50% HP and cleric is healing the warrior... top him off with a few heals and go pull the next mob.

I can make the case that playing a defensive/utility ranger like this with STA/HP/AC/WIS gear vs. an offensive ranger with STR/DEX is more compelling gameplay.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles