Thread: Miscellaneous: Ak'Anon Touch Up
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2023, 04:48 PM
Aviak

2. Sanfyrd Montop appears to have offered the Duster Model quest based on the Oct1999 Allakhazam quest page.
Quote:
Duster Models: This is sometimes given after you complete the 27 C Blackbox quest. If Jogl doesn't give you the Red V report, he will probably give you the Duster Model report. If you give this to Drekon Vebnebber in the Gemchoppers Hall, he will tell you that two of the obsolete Duster Models have escaped and must be destroyed. You must give the proof to Sanfyrd Montop. He's the guy that's on the other side of the river from the Mines of Malfuntion. If you kill a Duster Model, you will get a piece of scrap metal and sometimes a gizmo/servo type item. You have to give two pieces of scrap metal (but not the other stuff) to Sanfyrd to complete the quest. I got a gavel the one time I did the quest. I don't know if it's random or if you always get one. (Stats on the gavel: non-magical 1h blunt, 4 dam, 38 delay, weight 6.5, usable by warriors, clerics paladins, rangers, shadow knight, druid, monk, bard, rogue, shaman and any race.)
(submitted by Sluglug)
This spreadsheet from eqic.net contains a list of weapons including Gavel as a reward from Sanfyrd Montop's quest.

3. Comparing the May2000 Duster Model quest write-up to the above, we see Bootstrutter's is now mentioned:
Quote:
Your reward for this is usually either a Forging Hammer or a Bootstrutters Framed Pack. The pack seems to be the common reward.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20020804...de=35&id=46156
Quote:
Submited by: Zildabus On: 8/18/2000 5:04:31 PM
Now give the 2 pieces to Sanford (The same guy that does the other scrap metal quest) and the one time I did the quest I got a BootStrutters Framed Pack.
This player repeated the quest expecting to get another one, but it was lore:
Quote:
Submited by: Curbik On: 1/30/2001 12:04:10 PM
Arggh !!

Got the pack and liked it so much I did the quest a second time.
Guess what - it appears that you can't have the pack on you, and
get a second one. I wound up getting NOTHING, even though Sanfyrd
said he gave me something.

I am going to put the pack in the bank and try this quest again. Maybe
as long as I don't have it on me I will be able to get a second one.
- https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=11
Quote:
Nice pack, easy to get
Sep 03 2000 at 5:16 PM
Anonymous

I did this quest in about 40 minutes, only because I had to wait for Jogl to pop up. The quest description is right on about binding near the mechanic. I received the pack the first time and after dropping an 11.5 pound Avenger battle into it, noticed 1 pound of encumbrance vanish! So the pack also appears to be 10% weight reduction in addition to 10 slot, really cool perk :-) Try an object 10 pounds or more to see the weight drop.
Quote:
Kind of a walk-through
Jul 01 2001 at 10:10 AM
__DEL__1592756754378

First of all make sure when you do the quest that you have an open inventory slot for the bag to drop into, I always leave the number 1 slot open. OK here goes: (sorry for the length)
Hope that was helpful, it's a great quest that once you know what to do gives you a nice weight reducing backpack in about 15-20 minutes.

Good Luck!

Aarnon 34 Song Bard on Xegony
I don't think the pack was in-game until Oct1999. It looks like it was added as a reward to the Duster Models quest with the switch from Montop to Featherhead. From the above comments, it seems likely it was awarded everytime. The Oct1999 Ak'Anon quest page specifically mentions Bullsmasher as a noteworthy reward in the related Red V quest. I think a free 10-slot bag would have been similarly noteworthy had it been available (supported by the fact that we do see it mentioned in the May 2000 capture). Until Oct1999, the quest seems to have awarded the Gavel with uncertain frequency. Also, Oct1999 was when the JBoots quest was added. Hasten Bootstrutter. Bootstrutter's Framed Pack.

- https://web.archive.org/web/20010117...ID=1056&page=1
Quote:
Posted By: Dugs Dwarvetosser 2000-01-22 16:16:51
How does me git wun ov dese packs? me killed hasten wunce, he not have wun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
- https://web.archive.org/web/20020810...chive_1299.htm
Quote:
Monday December 27, 1999
- 3:30pm PST
Site Additions/Updates:
Bags and Boxes: Bootstrutter's Framed Pack
Graffe had been making almost daily updates to the site throughout 1999. He had been adding bags/backpacks from Aug1999 and Sept1999.

4. It seems Montop should offer no discussion of Rain Caller; that should start with Featherhead. Previous research suggests the Rain Caller quest was unfinished until Oct1999.

- https://web.archive.org/web/20010406...asterquest.htm
Quote:
At the very bottom of Ak'anon, they have a scrapyard, and who should maintain that Scrapyard but one Sanfyrd Montop (his name has recently changed to Sanfyrd Featherhead for a Ranger quest, but Ak'anon quest messages still refer to the old name). This is quite possibly an homage to that lovable cantankerous old coot, salvage-yard owner Fred Sanford, as seen on "Sanford and Son," a sitcom during the 70's. Added trivia bonus: Fred Sanford was played by Redd Foxx, whose real name was John Elroy Sanford.
Searching EQArchives for "Montop" and "Rain Caller" provides nothing of interest. Searching for "Featherhead" and "Rain Caller" provides dozens of results including quest walkthroughs in English, Japanese, and French.