View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 08:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm almost done with 35 now. I did a couple levels in Mistmoore GY/CE, and it was great fun. I saved a wipe on a bad pull by CCing with charm to keep two occupied, and then when we were down to the last mob, everyone oom and low health, I could twist mez/mana/health until we were ready to take it down.

I'm out at the giant fort in Frontier Mountains now, mostly duoing and soloing. It's been a great place to practice pulling, and it's nice how fast the repops are. After getting Cantata of Soothing my weapons are almost permanently bagged, although I did pull them out to tank for a monk. Just Selo's Consonant Chain wasn't enough to hold aggro, but that plus Chords of Dissonance plus the DD procs from the Venomous Axe was. What's the best aggro twist? I don't want to use Chords of Dissonance if there's an enchanter mezzing.

Duoing with a necro was especially fun. He would dot or dd while adding his pet, and I would tank and dot. The slow is starting to get more and more significant. And it's always nice to feed a synergy like lich and hp/mana regen.

One thing that surprised me is that I was charming far less often than I expected. With the monk there was enough DPS that the added charm DPS didn't appreciably speed things up. Since you can't mez giants, if charm broke at an awkward timing you'd either have to recharm and break up the flow waiting for charm to break before killing it, or have two mobs beating on us until the first mob died. Adding a priest class as a trio probably would have changed that calculus, as healing was our bottleneck. But we were killing almost continuously for over an hour with only a couple breaks to heal up, so it felt pretty good.

I mostly use charm as cc, which worked pretty well. It's also nice to be able to occasionally pause a tough fight to be able to take a breather and regen a couple ticks. I discovered a nice synergy while duoing with a necro. Towards the end of a tough fight with adds we were both at about 30-50% health, as was the one giant left. When the necro announced oom, I decided to charm to give us a breather. Since the necro dots aren't removed when charmed, by the time charm broke the giant was almost dead, and what had been a tough fight was suddenly really easy.
So great to read stuff like this. You're playing bard the way its meant to be played - doing a little bit of everything and trying different duos. Forget the weapons, its lute and drum from here on out.

Necro + bard kicks so much ass. Keep an eye on /who in Kaesora - if you see any necros your level (or up to 40/42 really), hit them up and ask if you can come duo. That will be some of the most fun you can have, because the necro is charming solo and you'll make their life WAY easier if they're open to it.

You just may want to ask them to come up topside (most bind outside when they start their charm journey there) for some help down on your first go, it can be a bit confusing.

So much damn synergy there its absurd. After that you can bring your new necro friends to city of mist for more of that sick duo and then you'll be outdoors for some really nutty barding.
Last edited by Toxigen; 04-26-2024 at 09:01 AM..