View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 02:32 AM
Planar Protector

I had plenty of fun experiences on Red and wish more people were into PvP. I think most people have a misconception about it in the first place, like it's some kind of nuisance or hindrance. PvP greatly deepens the gameplay and brings back more of the actual thrills you got from classic era Everquest; way more interactive and interesting than Blue server. Blue server p1999 is like Solitaire. If you want to play nothing but Solitaire your whole life then go for it, but nobody actually does that because it's boring. You'd only do such a thing if you didn't have better options (which means you need to realize there are better options in the first place).

At the same time I wish the devs would make Red "less classic", because the game is nowhere close to ideally designed for PvP, especially in Velious era. Aside from balance and annoying mechanical issues with how combat plays out, there's not enough incentive for people to PvP in the first place. The server could be a ton of fun if it was actually built around PvP and stopped from becoming a "low population Blue clone". Red server had a very healthy population for a period of time, and healthy gameplay from the playerbase for a small period of time -- during Kunark era when there were sizeable guilds with roughly equal ability, which was especially nice because Kunark era is inherently better balanced than Velious era. It wouldn't be hard to make Red a bigger success than ever, but the devs need to put a little bit of work into it and realize changes are necessary for the format. The server was at its best directly after they did introduce a wave of "non-classic" improvements.