Thread: Game Mechanics: Sneak pulling revisited
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 01:37 AM
Planar Protector

This is a good primer on pull mechanics from 2003 which matches the tests H ran on live.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/monk...t533.html#p533

Quote:
Agro at Boarder Proxy Range
Quite often if you are barely in agro range of an NPC, but not others near it, only that one your in range of will agro. When you gain agro in this fashion, the assist agro range will be centered upon the puller. This is not always the case, but often, the agro check for the other NPC is never made. If you cast a spell, or throw a weapon, the assist radius will be centered on the NPC you attacked rather then you.

Proxy Pull
This trick can usually get you a single NPC without the need of FD. The trick is to get to the boarder of the NPCs agro range, but out of the agro range of other NPCs near by. Stand at the boarder range of one NPC and wait till it runs and attacks you. Don’t cast a spell or throw anything cause that will center the assist radius on the NPC you hit rather then you. Provided the NPCs are not very closely bunched, they will split. This pulling trick works extremely well in the planes.

Sneak Pulling
This trick can give you an added faction bonus. If you get some NPCs with their backs facing you, you may be able to pull them with the same chance of chain agro as you would get had you pulled non KoS mobs. Yes, there is a chance others will chain agro, but the odds are lowered, and the conditions for the NPCs to chain will be higher. In places where the chain agro mobs are a lower level then you, this could work well. If one mob is facing you, you can pull off a sneak and proxy pull which could very well lead to an amazing split.
An even older source got it half right so we can assume that the prox aggro mechanic remained unchanged.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/monk...34.html#p17900

Quote:
LaotzuQigong
Posts 43
Registered Member
7:08 AM - May 18, 2001 #7
Some interesting points...

As to the passing of hate lists, this of course only applies to high greens/blues or mobs that would normally aggro you...

Also, your discussion of "social" mobs goes to another topic entirely. Mobs have two different aggro ranges, one for general aggro (IE, you walk too close for a period of time) and second a combat aggro range (IE, You're in a fight with a mob) that I refer to as a "call for help" radius. For example, Treah in Growth has a zone wide call for help radius with certain mobs (a really annoying feature if I may say).

Also, at the outer ranges of the aggro radius, aggro delay is not a set time, as opposed to a percentage probability over time. So you will find at the furthest reach of an aggro range, mobs will have highly variable aggro times. You can prove this by slowly inching up on a mob, stopping, and waiting for 5 or 10 seconds. If you continue to inch and stop, inch and stop, you will find the maximum range of aggro. So one technique that I use sometimes is to figure out the very maximum aggro range, stop, and wait until the mob aggros.

The non-passing of the hate list would be more akin to an aggro percentage delay on other mobs... IE, they're at the maximum of aggro range, and so there's only a certain percentage probability of the second mob aggroing.
That first part is him not understanding server ticks or maybe they worked differently then. The second on non-passing of hate lists is just a crude understanding of proximity aggro. His variable percentages were your distance to the mobs that weren't being pulled, your level, and their level.

However based on all the evidence I think sneak went through various revisions and was eventually nerfed down to it's current form on live. Most likely due to the potential synergy with latter expansions tool sets.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/monk...30.html#p17881

Quote:
Mob LoS also seems to have a maximum distance. If I whip a Shuriken of Quellious at a frog, I can usually solo pull it by running backwards as I throw to gain distance on the attack.
Last edited by Pringles; 10-11-2018 at 01:49 AM..