View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 03:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheopisIV [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will advocate that the snare necklace is absolutely invaluable to my Troll Shammy solo playstyle; moreso in dungeons but relevant anywhere. It's mana free and I can snap it onto a mob at ~20-25% and keep him from bringing in any buddies. Sure, I could drop a nuke and just be done with him but I love the option not to. Smacking my victim with a slam as soon as he turns is usually enough that he doesn't move, but failing the 'Troll's Elbow' he doesn't go very far.
Yes, in my guide I mention that Pre-Torpor, Trolls ARE the best Shaman race. Pre-Torpor you need every mana saving device you can get. So I agree snare neck is more useful in the Pre-Torpor era, because you can use that instead of root in some cases. This will save you some mana per hour, and thus increase kill speed.

My point is that the Shaman playstyle doesn't need Clinging Darkness specifically in MOST cases. This is because you can just use root. When you get Torpor, the mana used for root is not going to make or break the fight in most cases. Since Clinging Darkness and root have the same chance to land from an MR resistance perspective, Clinging Darkness is a pretty bad spell overall, due to it's very short duration, and long cast time on the snare neck. You would be able to get the mob under control faster with a few roots as opposed to waiting on the snare neck to cast, and land successfully. Yes, you can pre-Clinging Darkness the mob when they are close to running away, but the short duration, long cast time, and same MR resistance chance make pre-Clinging Darkness tough to juggle along with everything else a Shaman needs to do. Shamans are very casting heavy classes, so adding one more thing to your list of things to cast is just not worth it in most cases.

The only time Clinging Darkness is useful Post-Torpor is the RARE case where you are fighting a pathing mob that gates, and you cannot fight said mob on it's spawn point. Other than that, root works just as well at keeping the mob in place. Torpor Shamans do a lot of tanking, since their mobility is limited while Torporing. If you can survive the mob for the first 80% of their HP, you can survive the remaining 20% by rooting the mob and finishing the job tanking, or sitting back and letting root hold them in place.

I would have a completely different opinion about the snare neck if it was a better spell, even the next spell in the Clinging Darkness line. This is because you could snare the mob well in advance of them starting to run, and you wouldn't really need to worry about snaring again. This is why https://wiki.project1999.com/Spear_of_Constriction and https://wiki.project1999.com/Ball_of_Burlap_Yarn are great additions to a Shaman's arsenal, for those rare occasions where you need it. The long duration on those snares make it much more useful. But both of those items are not race specific, so that is why snare neck loses a lot of value in addition to the points mentioned above. If you really need a quick snare in a dire situation, you can use https://wiki.project1999.com/Scepter_of_the_Forlorn , which is superior to the snare neck due to it's instant cast. Yes, it only has 10 charges, but in most cases a quick snare would be more of an "Oh Shit" moment than normal play.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 11-25-2020 at 04:00 PM..