View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 09:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know if I agree with this except the diet and rest part. You aren't going to get strong/grow if you just show up and max out and then call it a day. You also have a great risk for injury by starting at your max first. I would strongly advise against that. It seems counter intuitive to do a work up because you feel you're using more energy to get there, but that's not the way it works. Your body needs to prepare for its max. And you aren't going to be lifting shit if you injure yourself. You will be drinking kratom smoothies with dino.

One thing I can't stress enough is resting between sets. If you need to take a 3-5 min break while maxing that's ok. That's only going to benefit your next lift. I also have either protein powder in water or just honey in water for some extra energy during lifts.

Hope this helps.

Kaizersoze, are you working other parts of your legs as well? And what exercises?
[citation needed]

You have no idea whether maxing first increases your relative risk of injury. Do you have evidence to support this? Does the evidence have external validity (ie, does it examine the same lifts at the same loads you're discussing?). Both sides are plausible. Are you less likely to be injured if you allow your body to warm up for the most challenging lift? Or are you less likely to be injured if you approach your max fresh and un-fatigued? Keep in mind that many lifters compromise their form as they fatigue, and compromised form is a common source of injury.

I don't understand what it is about lifting that damn near universally inspires people to spout bro-science, but any online discussion about lifting anywhere invariably ends up reading like a Cosmo article. As a physical therapist, it really grinds my gears. The true marker of someone who really knows their shit about most of these issues is "We don't know what the truth is on this matter, the evidence is conflicting, but here's how I do it, and why, and this is how it works for me..."