View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 11:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I always think of a server as one dedicated machine - but in today's market, is one rentable commercial server able to spin-up all 60-90 server-instances needed to host P1999?
Pretty sure Rogean doesn't use a "rentable commercial server": the dude has rack space and builds his own (powerful) machines to run P99. (If you dig hard enough, you should be able to find an old post from him where he shares a picture of one.)

I'm sure one could use AWS or something similar to "spin up" zones as needed, but even with just micro-sized EC2 instances, running even 60 at once would be very cost prohibitive (we're talking like $300/month without even using EBS or other AWS features). However, you might be able to make it work with just one very large server (eg. an A1) ... but you'd have to see (or check in with the larger EQ Emulator community, as I'm sure people have tried it before).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 08-07-2022 at 11:16 AM..