Thread: Odd Question
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree very strongly: to me it isn't just a jump between checking what's running in-memory and searching your whole hard drive from non-running programs, it's a huge gigantic freaking leap of privacy invasion.

As I said, the former is an accepted part of P99. The latter would, I predict, make at least half the players stop playing.
I actually agree with you Loramin. I'm saying that when a game is already doing some invasion of privacy to prevent cheating, it wouldn't be totally surprising to me if they decided to go deeper.

But yes, as far as I can tell, surreptitiously looking at files on someone's machine (i.e. looking for an installed copy of ShowEQ) would be highly unethical --- and maybe even illegal. I don't really care about that though (for this thread)...I just wanted someone with some authority to confirm that I don't have to worry about installing it as long as it isn't running while playing p99.