View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 04:14 PM
Planar Protector

Maybe I can provide some helpful context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmani
CirrusSearch is a big step up from traditional MediaWiki search tools
I don't think this will ever happen at wiki.project1999.com. You'd have to convince Rogean to install, host, and maintain that whole new app (in addition to P99 itself, the existing wiki, this forum, and everything else he manages) ... and I just don't see that happening.

But if you really want to see it happen, you could get a Digital Ocean droplet, AWS EC2 instance, etc. for <$10/month and host it yourself. You'd have to migrate the wiki data, but if the new wiki is better, people will use it. Just look at the success of third-party hosted auction sites (which replaced the wiki's auction tracker, for lots of people at least).

Quote:
{{:Ice Crystal Staff}} and {{ItemLink|Ice Crystal Staff}}
Just to clarify, your solution could be implemented today, with only a new template (ItemLink) and custom JS. However, changing the built-in {{:Ice Crystal Staff}} would be a lot more challenging, as it actually relies on a custom PHP extension, which (I believe) embeds the code for the Ice Crystal staff on the page.

(In theory, that approach should be faster than fetching the Ice Crystal Staff page via AJAX, so I'm curious why that isn't the case. Any thoughts?)

Quote:
If anyone with admin access to the wiki is interested
Here's the thing: we have other wiki admins, but I don't know if any of them know Javascript. I am an admin who knows JS (and wrote a lot of the custom JS in the wiki) ... but I no longer play. Honestly, you lucked out with me even checking the forum today.

So, sadly, my desire to test and debug your code (for a wiki for a game I don't play) is extremely low. If you can find another wiki admin who knows the JS, really they would be a better option.

But since I don't think there is such an option, here's what I'll recommend. First, go take a look at https://wiki.project1999.com/MediaWiki:Common.js. It's the JS included on every page, so it would handle something like item links ... although as you'll see, a lot of "features" are kept in separate files, and brought in via the wiki's wannabe-version of require, eg. importScript('MediaWiki:Zones.js').

Step two: simulate (using the dev tools) adding your code. Just dynamically append a script tag with the code in it, or something. But then here's the key part: test it, HEAVILY. Test it on all kinds of different pages, and test it to the point you're 99.9% certain it won't break anything.

Step three: give me the file for your code, the exact code changes I'll need to make to Common.js, and where exactly I'll need to make ithem.

If you do all that, plus one last thing, I'll see what I can do about getting the code in. What's that "one more thing"?

Convince me that you also have a plan to fix all the existing {{: links ... or that the wiki will truly be better off with two types of links, one of which is rare, more verbose, and loads slightly quicker.

P.S. I'd recommend PMing me instead of (or in addition to) posting back here. I don't read the forum regularly, but PMs email me.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.