View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 08:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why do people think WoW invented having multiple combat abilities? It's like people think EQ1 was the only WRPG that existed prior to WoW???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But Ultima Online was already successful and even had 100k players by December 1998 prior to EQ1 launching 3 months later. The genre was already shown to be successful hence why several mmo's were in development at the sametime. Everquest only became the most well known because it beat Asheron's Call to the punch as the first truly 3D MMO. And no, it didn't "dominate" for 5 years. If we're talking about regional wise, then yes, but worldwide? No, Lineage and FFXI surpassed EQ1 prior to WoW coming out. The largest peak of subscribers EQ1 ever had was in 2003 with 500k subscribers and after SoL2 (GoD) came out people were prime and ready to head off to WoW. Still remember to this day /ooc PoK chat was flooded with "I'm headed off to WoW moment it comes out" by people just downright frustrated with how EQ1 was handled. You can't deny, there's a lot of things in EQ1 that aren't based on challenge but rather just padding things out to a ridiculous extent as a way to artificially extend the length of the game. Shadows of Luclin was the biggest culprit of this just making the more unlikable parts of RoK/SoV more noticeable.
Correct me if I am wrong but did UO have multiple combat abilities the way AG was describing? I remember my roommates complained about Pk'r college kids with their superior at the time T1 connection, mouse click. This is what I originally responded to you about because you had a question with multiple "???" EQ and WoW was/are the two big MMOs in North America. This is why we compare them. I suspect your original question was concerning AG's and our comments but you didn't quote.. so who knows.

None of my friends or people I knew played Lineage or FF, I can't speak to that.

I basically detest anything EQ related post Velious and I am not the biggest fan of it or Kunark. Rushed expansions without the thought put into them the original game had imo. Not sure what you think I would try to deny.

Most people were ready for a new game, I was one of them. I was there opening day for DAoC and Shadowbane. But you had games like Star Wars Galaxies out as well. However, I don't hear comparisons about any recent or upcoming MMOs with those games. I do with WoW and recently EQ with Pantheon.

Quote:
I was being facetious not literal.
I know..

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]