View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 10:52 AM
Large Rat

Default Ol' Vazaelle player returning for some classic goodness

Just wanted to poke my head around to see if any former Vazaelle folks are still playing on P99. I see that at least some of them did for a time per the P99 wiki, but I haven't found any of them online in-game in the past week or two.

I tried the Phinigel TLP server back in 2016, and that quickly ended up in a garbage experience. The multitude of "QoL" changes (/pickzones, increased xp rate, no corpse runs, etc) already made it a completely different and neutered experience. But, seeing the forums filled with people arguing for an even faster XP rate, unfettered boxing, and other further QoL changes were a big part in killing the enjoyment (combined with fast expansion unlocks and the sense of "everyone must race" server-wide that meant min/maxing at all costs). Krono absolutely shat all over the economy, too.

I started up on P99 at the tail end of last month, and at this point have a Cleric up to L35. Absolutely loving the return to an actual facsimile of classic EQ. I've enjoyed making the BB<->FP boat trip several times already. I've REALLY enjoyed the return to actually settling in for hours at a time with level appropriate geared folks (with only a few modestly twinked toons) holding a conversation with people. Then, seeing those same people throughout the week and starting to develop friendships with them.

Oddly enough, the most unclassic thing so far is how nice people generally are. Within my first evening of creating my character I was given a few random items and 100pp.

The biggest deterrent in the past from starting up on P99 was/is the raiding scene. From lurking over the past few years to even this past month of being on P99, it seems absolutely toxic and prohibitive beyond anything experienced on Live. The only reason I even decided to finally give P99 a go is after I decided I think I could be okay with never participating in downing raid targets. That makes me sad, but the L1-L60 leveling is should provide with fun for a while.

So far, though, I'm having a blast. The wife was interested in checking it out and so I've just recently rolled my old EQ Live main, ENC, and she's playing a CLR.