View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Banned

grats 2 ya bud. keep it up and you will be happy.

Quitting smoking is ultra tricky, especially with how conditioned we become to certain stimuli. It was hardest for me to resist when I walked out of my college classrooms, having a cup of coffee, and harder even when I went out drinking at a bar (I permitted myself to smoke while drunk for a while - you wake up feeling like death and so eventually it becomes easier to resist)

As sirken asks: how do you avoid temptation during those times of craving (for me the exodus from class, for him the exodus from work)? Well, I would chew the shit out of pens. I literally bought dozens of boxes of pens just so I could destroy them in 10 minutes with my teeth. The chewing, holding something shaped like a cigarette, it all helped me a lot during those troubled times.

Another couple pieces of advice: it's easier if you just take it day by day. It's hard to say "i'm quitting cigarettes forever." it's scary. and it's fucking impossible. I don't smoke, but I still smoke a cigarette once in a blue moon, know what I mean? Isntead of panicking about not smoking ever, ever again, just ask "Can I go without a cigarette today?" obviously the answer is yes.

Then when you do fuck up, take it easy on yourself and get rid of the cigarettes ASAP. Odds are you were drunk, and everyone makes mistakes while drunk!

Good luck OP and all other quitters AKA casuals