View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

No, its bad at everything besides rust. It experiences galvanic corrosion when touching dissimilar metals like aluminum and stuff, its expensive and soft and heavy as hell. Literally bad at everything compared to high strength steel EXCEPT corrosion, and even stainless steel can and will still corrode.

So galvanized HSS is best, and yeah that might be for profit that cars aren't more rust proof, because I've got a galvanized bucket that has been outside filled with water for 15 years and has zero rust.

But it's not just being scum bags. There are real reasons.

Best material is plastic, or carbon fiber or whatever and an anodized aluminum frame. That is strictly a cost issue I believe, as the unibody of a steel car is strong and safe and structurally sound and can be made more quickly than an aluminum space frame with plastic/fiberglass/carbon fiber panels or something.

I dunno. Car MFG's are smart though. The fact is that the outside of a car mostly lasts as long as the car is designed to last, 200k miles or so.

Beyond that the car is considered ready for the dump. This isn't how we should be making cars, but resources are valued too low to justify the cost of human labor to keep repairing old cars, so we scrap them.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 07-01-2021 at 03:08 PM..