View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 09:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I said it in a round about way, but yeah, I feel like renames/deletes are a bad idea. I've got no problem getting 5-8 letter names that aren't Aiqwej'apsdfji out of the random name generator.

For example, Gazran. Popped right out of the random name generator. That's a fine, strong name for a young ogre or troll. I deleted it, so it's still available if anyone wants it now. Go get 'em, Gaz!

But back to why I think renames/deletes are a bad idea, I'm really curious about what names we're talking about here. I know, no one wants to actually post it because it's all OC DONUT STEAL stuff so I get the secrecy. But I find it highly unlikely people are just sitting on naked level 1 random, generic fantasy sounding names account after account. Shit like Aaragon should never see the light of day again if someone forgot that garbage years ago and that's the kind of stuff I think people sit on, at least if you look at the couple "WTS name" threads that pop up once in a while. And that's what I think people are in demand for. So that's why I just don't have a lot of sympathy for a rename/delete, I can't believe most people can't at least get something similar to what they want as long as it's some semi-original fantasy-ish sounding name unless it's some stupid reference or pun.
I think the problem with that argument is, if you follow the premise of it then logically you pretty much have to be against any non-random name.

Look, I'm not a fan of the fiftieth dark elf named Drizzt. It was dumb on live, and it's dumb here. It also is jarring to anyone who sees it: it knocks you out of your stupid 20-year old elf sim fantasy world. But ...there's a vast spectrum of names, and Drizzt is only one end.

I've got an Enchanter named Kalasiris who is on the other end. It is not an original name ... but it's from an ancient Greek novel that no one except Literature majors would ever read, so it might as well be: (virtually) no one will ever see it and petition me, and if they did the GMs might not even believe it's from a book.

By your logic, if someone, me or anyone else, made a Kalasiris seven years ago, and never played him (or played him for only a few minutes), no one should ever be able to make a character on Green with the awesome name Kalasiris? I'm not trying to trick or argue with you here, but I'm asking is this really what you believe?

It seems to me that the good kind of name, the ones no one has heard of and sound fantasy, are still a finite good. There's less of that good to go around for everyone if 7-year old toons no one plays deplete the stockpile. IF you agree with that on any level, and you're still against renames, then you have to believe there's a corresponding value to letting those names stay unused, which makes me wonder ... what's that value?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 09-18-2019 at 09:08 PM..