Thread: BDA to Phinigel
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 10:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let me clarify what I meant.

Instances solve some problems, and make an in-demand game easier to play. A worldwide stat system allows one to measure epeen on status boards as opposed to on-server. But eq2 really fell apart once avatars were removed, which were the only remaining contested uber-content in eq2. For many, some remnant of competitive gameplay, on-server, was all that kept them aboard.

Instancing ultimately kills an mmo. It is a bad solution to an abstract problem. IMO, EVE seems to be the only game to solve the problem -- just have one game world. Sadly, EVE is kind of very boring.
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/....236963/page-2

This becomes the uber-content. The race to be the first/fastest to complete the newest releases content. That's how EQ has been since instancing. What keeps them around for the farm period inbetween expansions is the guild/friends you are hanging out with and gearing up for the next release.

Now granted, this thread is retarded because comparing instanced and open world raids is dumb. But yea, direct competition for mobs changed to become who can do it faster or more efficiently in their own instance, which is really a much better way of measuring your dick. Especially when you compare it to how it's done on this server...

I'd much rather see A/A posting their time from first kill to complete ToV clear rather than who won some races that week. I think at this point a full ToV clear could be done in less than 2 hours using the strats currently used, if you got in a rhthym. Likewise I think VP could probably be done in <30minutes if you got in a rhthym. Those would be things worth posting about. At the same time, the CSGs and Venerates of the world who couldn't give a flying fuck about kill times would be able to post "we raided NToV on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, crawling the zone like it was intended. Grats these guys on Vulak loot!"

Instances let you make the game the way you want it to be played, and if you want a challenge or competitive dickwagging fest, you can insert that into your gameplay.