Thread: <Brexit>
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 05:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Wizard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if your post is longer then a sentence or two no one is going to read it
Tsdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Factually I agree the whole Brexit thing is a farce. But it really doesn't tackle why the government has failed to get it done - other than poking fun and adding a bit of comedy...and while some political satire is never a bad thing, the annoying thing for Brexit voters is that no leader yet has had the stones to just WALK AWAY.

I'd understand if we were a small EU country like Luxembourg or Lithuania - we probably wouldn't survive economically, but the UK is the 5th largest economy in the world and we still have strong ties to commonwealth countries like Canada/Australia/South Africa/etc and in terms of setting our own policies on migration, work visas, our own laws not being subject to the European Court of Justice's approval, and generally being able to trade with who we like... there's no reason we can't stand on our own two feet.

Imagine an official "North American Union" gets set up. Mexico and probably Cuba and some other countries get added.... and you have freedom of movement for anyone with a member state passport able to work and live where they like. Is that going to be damaging for the American economy? Of course it is. The difference there though is America is already something like 370 million people right? The UK is up to around 65 million, and it wasn't 20 years ago we were closer to 55 million. We haven't grown as a nation in terms of standards of living, most people working unskilled jobs are on the minimum wage, which is becoming the maximum wage they can hope for.

Is that bad? Well, not if you come from Romania where its 9 times higher than the wage there - but if you're a UK school leaver entering the workforce, you're competing for a shit job at a supermarket with dozens of people who have moved to the UK to work. No qualifications needed, maybe your chances are considerably better if you've learnt English but overall the country has become a good place for people to come and make enough money to then go back to buy a house and set their lives up. I can't blame anyone for wanting to better their life for themselves or their family, but uncontrolled immigration hurts a lot of people's employment chances here - and pushes the cost of living up in terms of renting a house (buying one is getting near impossible).

The joke of the whole Brexit saga is that if we "do a deal" as May, Johnson and whoever else keeps saying is in our best interests, those freedom of movement laws would remain, we'd still be subject to a lot of EU laws which right now we don't want or need and in terms of the "leave or remain" vote in 2016 the electorate took it as an absolute withdrawal from all of it... so less than that is a betrayal from our political leaders.

It still costs us 60 million GBP per week to be an EU member, no wonder they don't want to let us go [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Straight up its frustrating, and we just need to walk away... but then you've got the kids of 2016 who are now in voting age saying they didn't get any say in it, and people who paint a leave voter as a full on Nazi because why wouldn't we want uncontrolled migration and increased levels of crime?

The EU as an entity needs to go, I don't know how that happens but Germany and France need to also reach that conclusion - and that'll be the end of it.

I don't think 2020 is going to solve anything either, but I can hope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I voted remain for my own selfish reasons, but I don't think there is much wrong in your post.

I hope there at least remains a dual tax agreement as part of whatever the arrangement is, and a back door for family of / those married to Brits.