View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 12:29 PM
Planar Protector

This came up awhile back, and it was the only time I've ever had a "pow wow" with other wiki admins in the wiki talk system (as a side note, I'm not a fan of the wiki talk system).

We agreed on a basic policy, and I codified it here: https://wiki.project1999.com/Image_Policy

The short version is, we're building an encyclopedia, and in a perfect world there'd be no character names, but ... we don't live in a perfect world.

We decided that if "getting your name in the wiki" gets you to contribute images the wiki needs ... GREAT! We'd prefer name-less ones, but beggars can't be choosers, and we need tons of images.

Can someone replace an image that has a name, with an image without one? Yes*, because it's making the wiki more encyclopedia-like. BUT ... as I just said, we have TONS of items with no screenshots. Rather than spend time replacing items that already have images (with names), I think everyone would prefer see people contribute new images for items that need them.

* NOTE: It must be a completely new image, not just a crop of the other person's image. Again, our goal is a better wiki, and if people to go through the wiki cropping peoples' names out, we would get rid of some names, but in the long run we'd lose the "get my name in" motivation factor, and the wiki would have less images and wind up worse off.

Finally there's replacing images with someone else's name with your's. All that does is discourage people from contributing, so we will ban for doing that (after warning the person first, because of course not everyone sees that Image Policy page).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loramin is the hero here, protecting our wiki from invaders and influencers!
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-25-2019 at 12:40 PM..