View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 03:27 AM
Planar Protector

Default What does velious actually add?

Lots of ice? Massive faction grinds? Different giant models? +100 hpmana's?

I've dug around in Velious a bit, but I feel like outside of Tofs and crystal caverns it offers very little actual exploration and lore. I feel like in just greeting the trade commissioner in Shadowhaven and running out towards the echo caverns and fungus grove to help out some struggling street vendors. In one Luclin quest I have already uncovered more lore and mystery than the entire velios expac provided.

Velious feels more like a wow expac. New stuff. Much "progression".

In classic we get the fresh exposition of a new world, many cities, evil gods. Evil dragons. And a lot of crazy wizards who are after what got the goblins and giants in trouble.

Kunark has the ring of scale scheming behind the scenes. The discovery of the old Iksar empire. And the really bad dudes, Venril Sathir playing the evil side against the others.

Velious adds.. the dragons are still dicks, but bigger dicks with more loot.

Luclin adds a whole new world with a variation on the fantasy motif. Vampires. Three really cool human factions. The very end game Vex Thal is a bit of a let down, but in exploring Katta, Seru, Shadowhaven we get to see three very different paths for humanity. None black and white given what the original group of combined faces when stranded. Not only that, But it's the mysterious combine empire shattered in 3rds. Norraths living history, it's roots, in a glass bottle. Which is probably why the moon has a savage, barbaric, prehistoric feel. The Vah Shir force the players to confront an idealized nonhuman, less anthropomorphic society and species. And are a great juxtaposition to counter and mirror the rest of the content. They are the true heroes.