View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 08:40 AM
Aviak

Default Bard kiting/strafing keystrokes question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuurin View Post
Real question- why would you use sow to aoe kite? I always found strafing in big circles to be the best method. Honestly I don’t know how sow would help really. You still have to be within aoe range.

Seriously, this is the best method I’ve found: run around (w/ Selos) and gather 20-25 mobs and drag them to your aoe spot. Circle around until mobs are all clumped together tight. Click off Selos, start strafing, hit enter twice and then you are locked into strafe mode. Hot key whatever your best dots as 1-2-3 or whatever and then use right mouse to turn while strafing. Cycle through dot hotkeys and if you see damage to mobs then you’re in the right aoe range.

If you’re not hitting them, make your circle a little tighter (takes some practice- try it with just a mob or two until you get it down). No need for sow or any other speed enhancers- strafing is fast enough to outrun mist normal mobs.

I've been tinkering with a lowbie Bard for a bit now, and seized upon precisely this method mentioned above. HOWEVER... I cannot 'lock in' the strafe run. I can auto-run, but not auto-strafe, even just strafing, much less in combination with running forward to give the diagonal pattern needed for this kiting technique. I'm sure it comes down to how I have my keys set up. After deep diving into these threads, I have yet to come up with a definitive answer to satisfy my old crusty brain.

I'm using WASD for general movement; have strafe set at Q(left) and E(right) so I can hold either in combination with W to achieve that diagonal strafe. My sausage fingers are perfectly capable of holding both with a single digit, so I can hit hotkeys to maintain DoT, and/or whatever else I may need. Using mouselook to turn slightly, outward/away from the strafe to generate the circle. I can get it pretty tight this way, and have had success, but I keep seeing mentions and vids of folks being able to 'lock' into the diagonal strafe similar to auto-run. For obvious reasons, this would make it SO much incredibly easier.
I've tried same method while maintaining Selo's in the twist, and while buffed with SoW, and I can't make it work. The diagaonal strafe running speed works perfectly fine for what I've been using it upon so far: grizzlys, wisps, bandits, lions, wolves, etc.

So all that typing to essentially ask the question: How do I lock in running forward AND strafing?
My apologies for taking so long to get to that point, but I feel like the context will help provide a proper answer- especially from those with Barding experience.

Thanks so much peeps. I appreciate all the wisdom being shared here.