View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 11:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzHaN80 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Looks weird on 1440p, too big and pixelated
Good. I actually wanted to make it larger for 4k, which is why I will probably have to make another one for 4k specifically. It's meant to mimic the classic game's UI from 1999, with the same aspect ratio as it was originally, So 640x480, which was fullscreen not wide screen obviously.

So upscaling the 800x600's aspect ratio to 1920x1440 and comparing it to 2560x1440 looks like this:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

In reality, It should be bigger. My only concern was to keep pixel ratio density, to maintain the pixels and not blur them. So to do this you have to resample to the nearest neighbor and only in 2 x increments, so with 4k it will be something like 4x the size.

The way the UI is by default is miniature, so it makes sense it seems weird but aspect ratio wise it is made to be nearly exactly the same as it was in the day. It is actually more close to 1920x1080:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So its weird but even 1080p isn't too big in comparison aspect ratio wise.

This said, the Live one will look a lot better because I can make the image files 4, 8, 16, 32 times the size, then downscale them in engine which is a pixel art trick to make it look amazing but if I do that then the UI folder will be like 1GB lol.
Last edited by Shawk; 10-20-2021 at 11:39 PM..