View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
After installing new textures to global4_chr.s3d, it recognized and selectively patched only those textures, while skipping through the rest of the S3Ds.
On the question of whether or not it patches the answer is: "it depends".

Only SOME forms of texture patching is skipped such as removing magic pink (-mp option) but others which correct things such as black splotches (-rt option) will blindly patch multiple times.

You cannot rely upon the file size to examine these changes as the size may or may not change depending on the supplied options.

I am the author of this tool and I'm telling you that by not reverting to the original before each patch you are adding additional cumulative error; the changes will be subtle at first but increase over time as some palettes are normalized. Don't do it.

I am linking again to my original post which I would encourage you to examine closely:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?p=259375

Quote:
Textures with a full 8-bit palette will have their first index matched with the nearest color in the palette and will be blended with it at 50% opacity. The old color pixels will then be mapped to the new one, eliminating any pixels being mapped to palette index 0.

Textures with a partial palette like shoes which may have two colors (brown and black, for example), would not be suitable candidates for this solution. Instead, their palettes will be expanded to encompass mapping the old palette color to a new index and all pixels will then be updated accordingly.
Last edited by Ropethunder; 01-04-2017 at 01:13 PM..