View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And Halflings (with Sneak/Hide) get a 5% XP bonus, while Humans (clearly the most inferior race) get nothing. And Barbarians can master being sneaky (ie. being Rogues) but Iksar can't? And Enchanters get Clarity when clearly it would have made much more sense for Wizards to get it. Same for Shamans getting Torpor instead of Druids. And ...

There's lots about classic EQ that doesn't make sense. The game succeeded (wildly) in spite of its flaws ... but even so I'd love to someday see someone make a "Violet" server that's sort of like Green, but with all that sort of stuff corrected.
Agreed on those, but those are minor issues. I'm talking big picture game design here. What I am talking about is literally 1 layer of abstraction away from "Lets have 12 tank classes, 1 priest class, and 1 dps class reeeeeeeeee". They went far enough into game balance to realize they needed a nice spread of class archetypes, so not sure how they got the armor types for those classes so wrong. Put me in the meeting where dude says "GIVE BARDS PLATE" and everybody nods.