View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 02:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love new cars. Piece of shit base Honda handles better than...
I don't see it that way because new car or old car can both go around a curve or on/off-ramp as fast as is legal and then some. My floaty Coupe de Ville sunday driver car--certainly no cornering wonder--can go around about any curve well enough that I have to be breaking numerous laws before it's fast enough that it can't hold the road. What does even MORE handling do, get you busted for 40 over instead of 20 over? Not a useful advantage in practice and I don't condone driving like a maniac on public roads anyhow. You pretty much have to be at a racetrack to actually use that capability, meanwhile you get a harsh ride fulltime. The minivan I use as a daily driver is even more absurd, with a hard suspension for no particular reason (it's a minivan!) that does nothing except make it worse than it needs to be. I've never seen a minivan at a track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can't say that they are less safe than older cars because you would be surprised how many accidents I roll up on where the car is completely totaled but the passengers walk out basically unharmed
Depends on the type of crash. Older cars were usually very good at withstanding slow impacts without hurting themselves overmuch but were touch-and-go in higher-speed crashes. Modern cars are designed under somewhat absurd high-speed crash restrictions and they do it quite well, at the cost of the $3K mailbox damage and interiors basically designed around the 50th percentile crash dummy. I'd rather have an open and airy interior and accept somewhat more vulnerability but I don't get to pick anymore, except by buying older vehicles. Used to be you could buy a normal car or if you wanted to be safe you could buy a dreary Volvo. Now everything's a dreary Volvo.

Danth