View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 06:53 PM
Planar Protector

Until level 24 Shamans aren't very good. You will get a noticeable improvement once you hit 24.

The only buffs you really need to apply in this level range are STR, Haste, Regen, and your best HP buff. STA is optional since you don't get great returns from it at lower levels anyway. If you have the mana, go for it, but you are probably only getting like 30 HP off of it.

AC/Agility aren't really necessary in the lower levels, because the mobs are purposely tuned down to be easier. I wouldn't bother casting them until you start fighting mobs that are level 40+, which means you need to be in your 40s yourself.

Dex is only good to cast on people using proc weapons. Most good proc weapons for monks don't start proccing until level 50, so you are good there too.

Don't use the quick buffs like Burst of Strength. The amount of mana you spend isn't worth the small benefit.

For offensive spells just focus on rooting and slowing. Shaman damage spells have poor mana to damage ratios early on.

Get the Hand Wraps if your money is tight. There is no reason to spend the extra 1.5k or so on FBSS at your level. The main benefit of FBSS is it weighs less than Hand Wraps, and Monk AC gets penalized if you are carrying too much. But at low levels I didn't notice the AC penalty being a big issue on the Monk I am currently leveling. I was generally over weight and still doing just fine.

For FD pulling on a Monk, yeah I don't think there is anything else you can do other than wait until all but 1 mob goes back. Depending on the camp, you could probably just root adds instead of trying to get your wife to perfectly FD pull each time. If she doesn't enjoy it or doesn't want to do it, that is going to end up stopping the EQ sessions hehe.

For dungeons I would recommend doing Crystal Caverns once you get closer to level 30. The ZEM is pretty good, and it is generally not too crowded. You just need to be a bit careful around the Shaman Orcs. Avoid Splitpaw, Dalnir, Droga, and Kaesora. All of those are generally much tougher than the level range they are designed for, or have pathing issues in the case of Splitpaw.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-31-2023 at 07:09 PM..