View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Aviak

Lightbulb Make EQ Sound Significantly Better

Using the process described HERE I created an alternative snd2.pfs that has many of the lower quality sounds upgraded in quality and I also replaced a few sounds with VERY similar, but higher quality sounds. Most importantly, I replaced all the most annoying sounds.

I DID NOT change any sounds that make EQ awesome. All spell sounds as well as most UI sounds remain the same. Also a few of the movement sounds were too good to be replaced. Specifically the couching sound and the landing on the ground sound.

I significantly changed a few sounds from their previous state as I believe they were just plain annoying. The main offender was the thunder sound! That thing was driving me crazy!! The new version is much more subtle and pleasant.

Also the howling wind sound has annoyed me a great deal, so the new version is quieter and also has a more "lonesome" tone to it.

Finally the the underwater sound was sampled to low and sounded compressed and nasty. The new version is almost relaxing and of very high quality. Sadly it still only plays one time through before ending. I think something is wrong on the client that makes it do this.

Most of the combat sounds have been replaced with more realistic sounds.

I intend to eventually go through all the .pfs files and replace any low quality sounds with better ones, but for now this one file will make many people happy I think.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Download this: Mirror 1 Mirror 2 Mirror 3
2. Extract the archive.
3. Rename the old snd2.pfs in your [EverQuest directory]* to "old_snd2.pfs"
4. Place the new snd2.pfs into your [EverQuest directory]*
*The EverQuest directory is normally located at "C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest\" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest\"
Last edited by Xevin; 02-11-2011 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: added download mirrors