View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 11:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think he's debating whether the ZEMs are classic or not. I think he's debating this comment you've always made that he on purpose makes ZEMs non-classic in order to emulate some sense of "ZEM mystery" and create a more "classic atmosphere". And that he stands in the way of them being classic on purpose.

The ZEMs aren't all classic. But, contrary to what you've claimed multiple times in the past, that's not because Nilbog purposefully makes them so to try and create an atmosphere where people know less about them like they may have during the classic era. In large part it's because we don't have full information on what classic ZEMs were. His "source?" question is contesting your contrary claim on those points.
Again, anyone can decide what his one-word comment meant, and there's no doubt he was saying I was full of shit about something. But as an English major I can assure you there are any number of ways one can parse the collection of words that was my quote, and the single word that was Nilbog's, to define the details of what specifically I was full of shit about.

As for the part about being wrong about Nilbog's motivations? Again, yes I'm likely wrong, and very happy to be. Like I said, Nilbog never talks. Rogean barely does either, but at least once every couple years or so he decides to make a brief appearance in the forums. But Nilbog, outside the bug forums? There's a reason I posted that "giddy girl gif" after he wrote one word ... it was one word more than he's said on the matter for over half a decade!

Again, for the 5+ years I've been here, ZEMS have remained unclassic ... even though the devs have always claimed that all they want is "classic", and even though supposedly the classic ZEMs are baked in to EQEmu. That's created cognitive dissonance, between the fact that "Nilbog wants classic" and the fact that "Nilbog left an obvious thing unclassic for half a decade". The two don't square.

Every other similar contradiction here has an explanation. Maybe, in trying to square that circle I (or more likely, someone else that I go the idea from) came up with the explanation that Nilbog DOES want classic ... it's just with ZEMs he wants "classic mystery".

But if that was wrong, and me saying the wrong thing loudly a few times means that instead of having to keep tell ourselves the same cognitive dissonance-resolving lie for five more years, Nilbog actually makes that dissonance to go away ... how could I be upset about that?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.