View Single Post
Old 11-28-2022, 04:07 PM
Aviak

Default ENC = fun

Occasionally I check these forums, even though I've been retired from P99.

I actually believe the opposite of what everyone else does when it comes to Live vs P99 and enchanters. Put your tinfoil hat on because here's my theory. With the latency issues live faced between large server populations and dial up internet, I believe Brad/Verant purposely rigged charm to fail both mechanically and socially. They didn't want GMs and guides to be bothered with players or full groups/raids getting decimated not by a monster breaking charm, but by the inability to react quickly in controlling the loose monster because of latency issues.

There are a few times where you could petition a guide/GM to res your raid if you could prove everyone died because of server side issues. Latency and server crashes were things that lead to such deaths.

Since charm depends on quick reactions to keep the monster in check, it just makes sense that Brad and Verant sought a secret quick fix. It takes less time to do this than figuring out a fix that works within the limits of the game's latency issues. With charm becoming so dangerous and undependable, it made enchanters shy away from the spell and also forced full parties to shun them if they wanted to use it.

Now we arrive at the present. P99 charm is considered too OP? I believe the volunteer dev team is using the true code that was intended for charm. I think it's pretty cool to have an enchanter in the group and utilize monster DPS to dungeon crawl efficiently!

Baritune - level 60 Bard
Weegee - level 40 Wizard

Representing the Sanctuary Guild as an officer. We're a group friendly red players looking enjoy Project99 without the shackles of the blue servers rules!