View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 01:14 PM
Decaying Skeleton

A WORD OF WARNING for Windows 10 users.

If you can't login anymore after playing around with this "BASSMIDI driver".

I was curious. Ran it once, selected the sound font. Didn't hear any music in game.

I became annoyed and figured I didn't want to spend time on this customization of the game for now, so I tried running the program again.

Only now, the "Configure BASSMIDI Driver" app would NOT start anymore. So I was unable to reset the midi driver. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I realised this was likely the cause that I couldn't run the game anymore because the file Logs/dbg.txt stopped at

Sound Manager loaded 2165 filenames from soundassets.txt.

... and there was no "WorldAuthenticate" to be seen.

I figured that since that's what I was messing with recently, it was probably the cause.

Even though I uninstalled BASSMIDI driver, it let an invalid driver in the REGISTRY!

So now you're having fun running REGEDIT and editing the registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth (only on 64bit systems)

Look for the "midi" keys and replace the "bassmididrv" entries with the default "wdmaud.drv".

Finally, the game logs into character screen. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

TLDR

- I used the BASSMIDI exe linked on Welgrim's page .. It ran once, but would not run again, therefore preventing me from resetting the MIDI device.
- Having uninstalled BASSMIDI ... the game now freezes on login as it can not find the now missing midi driver
- Had to manually clean the registry keys to get game to run again.