View Single Post
Old 02-09-2021, 11:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twochain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IMO the best thing for the community would be to keep the server as competitive as possible, and require Seal Team to stream their raids. I think hundreds of people would watch this, which would expose our project to new players, and keep our game thriving. It also would level the playing field with knowledge.

If you don’t want to raid hardcore, don’t. There are other servers around.

Raiding classic EQ was supposed to be hard. Now that we have a wiki of what to do for each encounter, it becomes trivial without the possibility of someone else taking it.
The game would just immediately lose those new players as they realized that they got nothing after they lost the “race” to the raid boss. That’s why EQ competition actually sucks, compared to most other successful competitive games. In order to have a successful competitive environment, the losing party needs to at least make some progress. You may not be the first guild to kill Kel’thuzad on classic WoW, but at least when you do, you still get some loot. You might not be a challenger rank in League of Legends, but at least there are some end of season rewards for Diamond, Platinum, etc

I’m not nor ever will be of the mentality that “everyone should get a trophy”, but when your version of competition is a complete zero sum game that leaves 95% of the playerbase with nothing and zero progress, it will never be successful. It will suck for everyone that didn’t get some form of progress, which will make them quit, which will lead to a dead server. Personally to me it looks like it’s the early game and re-rolling/twinking new chars that is keeping P99 alive, not the end game. The end game is what pushes people away