View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 10:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by migori [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have never played EverQuest, but I like tanking. Played one in World of Warcraft a while ago.
So, does anyone have a suggestion for a good class to start with?
I have read about paladin, warrior, and shadow knight, but I have no idea if one is a better or worse idea of if I am alone or in later game with others.
You'd be best served to go SK. Warrior is a weak class until later levels or expensive gear. You won't be able to hold aggro as a warrior because your weapons will be bush league. Just about every class will be pulling aggro off of you until you get better gear.

SK gets disease cloud, which generates a ton of hate. I've grouped my twink monk with ALS SK's and have had a hard time pulling aggro off them while grouped in upper guk. Disease cloud is some of the best snap aggro out there, which is strange because it's a super weak spell.

Lastly, while monk isn't considered a tank, in my experience, monks will tank just as well up to a certain point/level.. Even in Karnors Castle the other day, we had a monk tanking LCY with no problem, plus damage output was better with monk.

Warriors are just a bad class in classic EQ, yes they are needed for end game raiding, and yes, with hundreds of thousands of PP in gear, they can be great DPS, but for the casual first time player trying to make his way through Norrath, every other class is going to be a much better option.