View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Aviak

Default Autism, Asperger's, and gaming.

This isn't something I tell many people and this is the first time I'm really going out there to make a comment of it, but are there others that play the game and have been labeled as Autistic? I recently have been exploring the idea of having Asperger's. A counselor had suggested I look into it and whole crap man, lots of things have clicked. I'm in my late 30's and this has given me a better understanding as to why my brain works the way it does in logical and social aspects.

I'm lucky in a way that my form of Asperger's is very high functioning in that I have a stable career in a field that had become my focus at an early age. What I do is almost second nature to me but the social aspect can sometimes become overwhelming to me. In real life no one would get the impression that I'm as aspie but internally it's obvious. I'm really good at masking.

It seems like games such as this are a great way for us to cope with the social world while still having the protective anonymity of being remote. If we get overwhelmed it almost nice to pretend to be someone else. If the game becomes too much I can just log off. Ever since my teens I have used games to cope with things and it all makes sense now.

If there are others it would be cool to form a guild. "Aspies of Norrath" or something. Speak up if you're an aspie, know someone, have questions, or just wanna comment on it.