View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 03:28 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Damn... y'all are pretty balanced on each side here, ha ha. No help at all! (jk)

Additional info:

I'm likely never going to make it to 60 -- so if that's a key factor, it's an easy decision! I work a ton, am starting a side-business with a friend, spend all the time I can with my life partner, lead an active social life, and am about to start working toward a second master's degree. EQ was a formative part of my teen years, picking it up as a 14 year-old in '99 with a handful of RL friends, two of whom I am now playing with again, cracking each other up on Discord while we adventure in all the places we never did back then, sloppy young noobs that we were. I was an Enchanter then, too.

I like the character I rolled almost a decade ago: an insidiously charming, ambiguously malevolent trickster known only as "Lies". He's also done a lot of faction grinding for his level (non-KoS most places even in DE form, and I believe I'm ally with ogres even in Dwarf form), and playing again for the first time in well over 5 years he's starting to grow on me again.

I very luckily found a pre-nerf CoS in my Iksar Necro alt's bank -- he's only level 9 and couldn't even use the proc yet -- so I sold it and grabbed a Gob Ring, and am now working on getting decked out in CHA gear with the remaining 25k. Considering JBoots but my friends are a DWF PLD & HLF DRU, so I reckon I can probably get buy with a few bottles of SoW potion.

Even if I rerolled with 20 pts in CHA as a DE, Gnome or Erudite, I'd still be as far away from min-maxing compared to if I'd rolled a High Elf, right? And I will skin myself alive and roll in salt before I ever play one of those smug twats.

EQ's Enchanter is the most fun I've ever had with any class in any MMO (made it to 56 or so back in live when PoP dropped and destroyed the game). There's just something about influencing and commanding the random factors in battle, in the terrifying and unpredictable environments of Norrath, and using quick decision-making to shut down crises and maximize opportunities, that is really exhilarating and fulfilling. There's just nothing else like it.
Last edited by Treehorn; 04-17-2019 at 03:50 AM..