View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Long time ago, I had to partake in a 12 mile road march and the standard pack was weighed and had to be 30 pounds. This was not an easy stroll.

40 pounds would be really rough unless you were in extraordinary shape, I'd think. Considering you got 40 pounds on you, along with worn gear I assume. That's a lot of weight.
Definitely not in extraordinary shape! Hiking poles and a relatively gentle grade (this was along Opal Creek in western Oregon) were extremely helpful. The longest stretch was 8 miles, but we took a few breaks. The other advantage was excellent spring weather, plenty of cold water and a bit of bourbon. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Luckily, I didn't do any harm to myself, but in retrospect I should have been packing much lighter for a single overnight on the trail. I went on a bit of gear spending spree and brought way too much crap. WTB Tink bag?

Next time I'll try to find good deals on ultralight equipment as well as get better at packing essentials.