View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 07:10 PM
Large Bat

This is a TL;DR of what I had to do to get EQ music sounding right on Win10 , Feb 2021. Big THX to Maestrobob for doing his musical magic and fixing the soundfont file manually somehow!! Bob is doing The Great Work!!

1. Download the soundfont file that Maestrobob graciously provided. I will quote it here, but check his original post to make sure he hasn't provided a newer version:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrobob [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The updated soundfont is here -> https://bit.ly/307B2VT
2. Download OmniMidi here, install it (get latest setup exe): https://github.com/KeppySoftware/OmniMIDI/releases

3. Run OmniMidi Configurator, click the + button on the right hand side, browse to & select the soundfont .SF2 file (that you downloaded in step 1). It should be the ONLY soundfont file loaded in OmniMidi Configurator. There is no need for the 1mgm.sf2 or any of those other soundfont files; ONLY load the one provided from maestrobob!!

NOTE - I open OmniMidi configurator every time i start up windows / before I play EQ, because Win10 seems to 'overwrite' the default MIDI device. OmniMidi will check this when it starts up, and ask you if you want to fix it (click yes)

4. I also use the Coolsoft MIDI Mapper prior to launching EQ to quickly ensure that OmniMidi is set as the default MIDI device. I dont think this is required, but it is a nice tool to view and set the Default MIDI device without having to manually browse/update registry values.

5. Also, it seems like in-game you need to turn ON "Enviroment Sounds" in the options, as apparently some (if not all) music in game is considered an environment sound. Unfortunately, this means you will also hear the annoying wind tunnel noises, or ocean breeze noises in some areas. I manually toggle environment sounds off when those annoyances start playing, and then turn them back on otherwise so i can hear music.

Again many thanks to Maestrobob for his excellent work on the fixed soundfont file, it makes the music sound great.