View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 05:37 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdub [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a TL;DR of what I had to do to get EQ music sounding right on Win10 , Feb 2021. Big THX to Maestrobob for doing his musical magic and fixing the soundfont file manually somehow!! Bob is doing The Great Work!!

1. Download the soundfont file that Maestrobob graciously provided. I will quote it here, but check his original post to make sure he hasn't provided a newer version:
Thanks, pdub. That bit.ly link will always redirect to the latest version of the fixed soundfont.

As an aside for those interested; The SoundFont spec itself went through several revisions back in the mid to late 90's and there are some features that were removed/changed. For example, version 2.01 (the version used by Miles SS in the EQ engine in 1998) had a velocity to filter cutoff modulator that was removed in version 2.04 of the spec, to which BASSMIDI and other software synths adhere.

The end result is that while it is very close, the music will never be 100% faithful to what it sounded like on a real AWE32 under Win9x with period correct drivers. Until we have completely accurate 2.01 emulation, this current method will be the absolute closest we'll get to having correct sounding music playback on modern hardware.

I would like to also give huge thanks to shortok, who has put a ton of time, money and effort into recording EQ's music on real hardware (you can find his captures here). Having those references for comparison has been a massive help.
Last edited by Maestrobob; 02-04-2021 at 05:46 PM..