View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekapaug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I tried so hard to get into Uthgard before but despite all of the bugs and whatnot the biggest problems I had stemmed from not being able to box.

I'm a huge proponent of no boxing on p99, obviously, but I think that's a bit extreme for daoc. No buff bots, absolutely, but not being able to box in pve really makes it next to impossible to level some classes. Even with friends to play with, you really don't bring a lot to a group as a stealther, for example, while giving the group more to deal with because of the bring a friend code.

Love daoc and would love to give this another try, but every class I enjoy across the realms tends to fall under the can't solo or doesn't add to groups categories. Or both.

Any of the new changes addressing this?
I'm not sure what you're asking about specifically, but if it's whether they will allow buffbots this time - I seriously doubt it.

One of the biggest ways to shoot yourself in the foot while playing a stealther, is by thinking 'inside the box;' like thinking you can't contribute anything to make a group better, in both pve/pvp just because you're a stealther. When this game just came out in 2001, my first and only class for a long time was a Shadowblade, the Midgard assassin class. The game was much harder back then, XP was slow as shit, and there wasn't any good/crafted gear like there is on today's "classic servers."

My advice is to look at everything your class can do right off the bat, like in this char builder here, and then prioritizing abilities to help you and your groups level more efficiently.

For example; DoT damage does full damage per tick to an npc regardless of level difference, and since stealther 'poison' cannot be resisted, not to mention poison damage stacks with casted DoTs as well, they are always useful! Or if you decide to specialize in Critical Strike (the high damage stealth attacks,) you also get regular styles in it as well, but if you invest into stealth & critical strike together early on, you can do very high damage every pull.

There's always a compromise in this game, it's not as black and white as - "bad class" or "good class," there are no bad classes - only players who limit themselves, and players who don't.

If you want to be a better player, you have to try new things yourself, don't just read what others do and try to repeat it - because not every class' playstyle is for every player playing said class. Some players simply decide that because they cannot make a certain distribution of spec points work, that nobody else can either, and so they rarely ever even consider a different way of playing in general.

Surrounding yourself with players who think outside the box, can make the game way more fun through sharing ideas and trying different things, in a group that welcomes them!
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"