View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played at launch and just came back to play again. Originally I had played a Druid and thought it be awesome to try again and see what I can do.

Just hit 14 last night and been mostly solo since I honestly don't know what the heck I should be doing when grouped.

My heal sucks so I sure as heck ain't keeping anyone alive and my DoTs don't seem to last because mobs die too fast.

So what am I expected to do when I get into a group? Right now I just buff and melee mobs down with the tank.

Maybe I'm just missing key spells to help me with my role in a group... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Druids are a bit of a roller coaster through the levels in groups since the content periodically outpaces the healing spell they have. They can be tough in the mid to late teens because the content outpaces their heal until they get a more powerful one at 19.

A Druid from 14-18 is a mix of buffs, CC (via root and harmony - don't underestimate the value of someone with harmony in the group to keep from pulling adds (way better than the Enchanter having to worry about people breaking their mez!) and roots can be just as valuable for helping a tank keep aggro or crowd controlling a multiple aggro situation), and healer. For damage, use your DD spells, not DoTs; it's not a lot of DPS, but at least it's something. You can also cast your DS on the tank, which will add a decent amount of indirect DPS from you.

In a group at level 14 where you're likely killing mobs below that level, your heal should still be technically okay although not ideal. As you level up a bit more toward 19, it will become more difficult. It will still be possible to be a healer in the group if it's a well organized group where there aren't multiple mobs beating on the tank, but there is going to be more downtime because you're going to need to med a lot more (and pre-Kunark when Enchanters get Breeze at 16, this medding can take awhile). You're really more of an off healer that provides other helpful benefits to a group.

If you are killing animal mobs, such as the crocs group in Oasis for example, you can Charm a pet to help with DPS as well. Druids can do a lot in groups to supplement their off healing abilities (the exception to this is the 40-50 range where a level 29 healing spell really won't help much as an off heal, so you're a lot less valuable to a group despite your other utility).