View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Sarnak

Episode 11: The Second Circle

As Nexii was getting on the boat, a new load of players were just re-materializing at the first Circle. She paid them just enough heed to see the <Azure Guard> tag, and that they were officers with tears in their eyes. Her pointed ears picked up the sounds of their lament. They had been banished to this place for their tinfoil hat petitions regarding gaming Tunare's loot table. They would now be exemplar prisoners of the First Circle. With each salty tear that fell to the ground, Nexii felt better about the loot that her Army of Autism had managed to salvage this cycle.

"I'm surprised you guys even allow those kind of petitions." Nexii said, tapping Braknar awake to continue on.

"Yes, well, we're bound to take the all the junk mail here. Every last brainless petition. Rogean's rules." Sirken replied.

The river Acheron wound its way down to the Second Circle of Hell. Here the river narrowed, and the sound overheard from the law office diminished. In fact, there was no sound at all heard. Only the swishing of the oars as Braknar easily cut through the lava, and soon brought the boat to its second stop.

"Here we are. The Second Circle. There's no GM that rules this level. We didn't really figure it necessary." Sirken rose out of the boat and then helped Nexii out as any chivalrous knight should.

"I can't hear anything except us. Are you sure there's even anything here?" Nexii asked, glaring about the darkness for some clue.

"Put on your Halo. You need see invisible for this part." Sirken directed.

"Fine. Oh! Yes, I can target them now." She could see many players, almost resembling ghosts hidden in the shadows.

"The Second Circle is that for players which have committed the sin of Asocialty. Don't confuse asocial with anti-social. Anti-social is destructive behavior worthy of a deeper Circle. These forgettable souls simply do not interact with others. A sin worthy of punishment, as Everquest is meant to be a social place where players work together. There are much better things one can do alone." Sirken gave the explanation.

"Like jerk off?" Nexii asked, groping Sirken's crotch. "Oh hey, I know some of these people. Jonwayne, Necrious, Zlundan. Wow, so many Rogue mains too! I guess that can happen when you play a class that only does DPS and doesn't have to talk to anyone." She glowered at them, watching them list about aimlessly and silently.

"Their punishment is to play the game blinded, and invisible, and muted. Although many of these players are actually very skilled at the game due to their singular focus, no one will lament their departure." Sirken added.

"Oh! I see more of them down this way!" Nexii exclaimed, running around a cave bend to see a much larger collection of ghosted players. "Auld Lang Syne. Should have figured. They don't talk or trade with those outside their guild." Nexii said to Sirken, though she knew he'd be aware of what they were.

"I kind of liked the idea of Auld Lang Syne, personally." Sirken said, wistfully.

"Oh come on! That's only because they're all masochists like you!" Nexii rolled her eyes. She then gave Sirken a sharp swat on the ass with her plate-covered palm.

"Fair." Sirken gulped, rubbing his ass then where he'd been spanked. "I suppose there isn't much else to say about this level. You could try to talk to them, but they won't reply."

"Hmm. I don't think I could ever end up here either. I mean, I wasn't guilded until level 60 but I always had..." she stopped herself of saying 'friends'. "Err, servants who willingly helped me become more powerful." She said, winking at Sirken.

"Ok. That's enough of this Circle for me. This place is boring, honestly. Come, it's this way back to the boat. The Acheron forks into the Styx ahead, a river of diseased waters.