View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 07:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeCaptain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The attraction of the game is the content: the art, the world, the lore.

It is not the UI.

And I suspect the restrictions of the original, 'classic' UI were due to a combination of technical limits and myopic developers.

Therefore, it makes little sense, and does not at all improve QOL, to shred the utility of various aspects of the UI in the name of 'classic.'

People are here for the challenge and immersion inherent to EQ, not for the UI.

I play Enchanter and don't care all that much about the change; I quickly made buttons and tend to pay attention so I know when my Charm has broken.

I simply don't understand why resources are devoted to UI changes when content can still be improved.

Want to bring back night-blindness? Fine with me! That's content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EverQuest is a game of information and a game of actions based on that information.

Classic UIs limited the information you had access to in a single frame.

Only one chat window so if you wanted to see group chat, zonewide chat, and still fight in combat you had to filter out certain pieces of text so that you wouldn’t be spammed out. This reduced incoming information you may have access to for example you may not see someone else getting hit from a mob behind you.
Also, the original UI had a vanity window where players could see their character/behind their character. If the mouse wheel pov is ever removed from Project1999, having a quick rearview mirror would help significantly when fleeing camp or pulling, to know whether mobs were aggro'd onto you or another group member, without having to turn around and risk taking damage. As much as I like both views, being able to just mouse wheel way out or hit shift + t feels too easy.