View Single Post
Old 09-21-2022, 06:26 PM
Banned

Default Enc: Timing aoe stun to hit mob as it runs in

I’ve been charm soloing in cramped quarters lately, and breaking charm (I lack GGR so use old school invis) has been creating some challenges

Normally before I wouldn’t care and just break charm with the mob close to melee range. It would get a swing or two before I could stun->root->back up and nuke….but I wouldn’t mind much because at worst it would just chew off my non-rune damage absorb shield. And most of the time it couldn’t even do that before I stunned it

Now that I’m approaching level 55, some problems have arisen. For one, I have to keep both runes up 100% of the time for my own safety, including the one that requires an expensive component. When I break charm on higher level (50+) mobs, some of them duo-quad me for like multiple 120+ damage hits apiece before I can stun them. This not only chews off my free rune, but sometimes my component rune as well, especially when their bash lands and stuns me. I can’t keep having to re-apply my component rune after every charm break, that’s too expensive for me

So….workarounds have been to pet guard here plant the mob as far away as I can to give myself time to mez/root it as it runs in. This doesn’t always work because sometimes the terrain just doesn’t have any long stretches. I can’t plant them around a corner or in another room because I need line of sight to mez/root

So my other workaround has been to try to perfectly time my aoe stun as they close to melee range to where they get stunned the split second they get in range before they can swing. And thus far I’ve gotten it to where I can do it ~60% of the time, but it seems latency is preventing me from getting any higher success rate. Sometimes I was completely convinced I timed it perfectly, and it looked perfect, but the mob’s actual position due to latency was like a step behind and therefore my stun goes off and hits nothing, which is the worst possible outcome

Has anyone been able to always land the aoe stun as the mob closes but before it can swing? Or what other workarounds can there be to break charm in cramped rooms/corridors without getting hit?