Thread: <Brexit>
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 02:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrombosis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was over 40 years before the people got to vote again on the UK's participation in what was the EEC, is now the EU. How much changed in that time? When we joined the EEC in 1973 there was no European parliament, there was no single market, there was no European Court of Injustice, there was no Freedom of Movement. Did we get a vote on any of these major changes to our country? Is it only the things that les bien pensents agree with that we get to vote again and again for? Sorry, but I think Scotland had a very good case for independence back in 2014 and the UK would certainly have treated them a good deal better than the EU are behaving today, but you just can't keep having referendums on the same thing when you don't get the result you don't want.

Fun fact: more people voted for Brexit in Scotland than voted for the only pro-Independence political party in 2017.
I don't see any reason why they can't have referendums as frequently as there is actual public opinion on the matter to support it. Just because they never called for one in those 40 years doesn't mean 40 years has any reason to be the baseline on how frequently people get a voice in their self determination. And besides - I think 5 years is ample time for reexamination, especially in the context of the gravity of what has happened during it.

Also, thank you for the irrelevant fun fact. Here's another one that actually matters: More Scots voted for Remain than Brexit.

The configuration (In EU)+(Not in UK)+(UK in EU) is no longer possible. (In EU)+(In UK)+(UK in EU) was removed from them against their personal votes. It follows that it's fully logical for a vote on the configuration of (In EU)+(Not in UK)+(UK not in EU) to be a thing that happens.