View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 09:25 AM
Planar Protector

At least 2/3rds of the things you've brought up are things that Pantheon has said it will have. Big dangerous world where unique abilities definitely matter (including the perception system), travel will be a real journey - can get lost, and local areas will feel unique and create different adventures. They've said banks will be local even, although I'm not sure of the specifics or how I feel about it exactly. I'm in favor of banks charging a fee to retrieve items you didn't store in *that* bank or people gaining a bit of interest from their hometown bank, but it would probably become tedious if you had to always keep going to different banks to pull out your items/cash.

I've never liked twinking being possible, it's only bad for the game. The extreme downtime in EQ is the only way it begins to look reasonable, the same goes for ultra-buffing low level characters. Long duration buffs in general are just a tedious and shallow form of gameplay (unless they continually drain the caster's mana as upkeep), I'm against them except for like illusions and traveling. They should be combat-dependent and require the players to actually make choices and time them well. I do like the community interaction of players being able to throw beneficial buffs/heals on people they aren't grouped with, but not the "get super buffed in commons tunnel" kind of shit.

If cheating is one of your favorite things then I feel like you need to address your own mental state and ask yourself why. Possibly the answer is because EQ can become boring if you've already "done it", but that doesn't mean twinking should be the solution. It means the game needs to be designed better, such that making a new character and building it up is always fun (as long as you enjoy the class).

One thing I currently agree with as a qualm is the visuals: doesn't look like they will be as exciting or varied as EQ's. Things don't seem obscured or scary or unique enough yet, it looks like a Skyrim clone. Most zones in original EQ were either very dark or constantly spread out in all directions, without being able to see reliable directional markers at many points. We've only seen one starting area of Pantheon so far and it does seem fairly easy to navigate, but it could just be the "Qeynos Hills" of the game, and other areas will be more difficult.

I do also have some concerns about the gameplay maybe being too linear, where they are being too rigid in the design of how players can approach the content. We need more information to go on though, doesn't feel like nearly enough yet.