Thread: Quest Issue: dialogues from city guards/vendors
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 09:07 AM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was trying to find dialogue in old world cities and discovered a ton of unprompted generic responses that each city has. Most the guards and vendors will respond to these. If this was already known, then disregard! I thought it's interesting anyways. Freeport/Paineel didn't have any responses, I'm guessing the freeport remake removed them, and paineel wasn't open at launch I believe, so these have probably been in since launch. Here's what I found so far:
Yes!

I have been collecting these for quite some time, and you are correct that each city seems to have certain questions to which only certain npcs will reply. So if I'm ever on live, I try to interrogate some commoners in the cities.

You have some replies that I will work into their scripts.

A few notes if you or anyone else wants to test these again:

The npcs generally reply to certain words in order.

For example if you say, 'where is the bank'. Most likely, the npc would reply to anything involving 'where' and 'bank' in that order. Example:

Quote:
where bank
where is the bank
where im just gonna insert some words here to see how you tell me about the bank
So when implementing these, I use expressions based on those findings. i.e.
Quote:
where.*bank
would suit all of those cases.

Sometimes, the npcs do not care about the who/what/when/where/why, and will reply such as:

Quote:
if ($text=~/(cleric|paladin) guild/i)
{
quest::say("Within Qeynos are the Knights of Thunder and the Priests of Life. Both of these orders consist of clerics and paladins and are respected by all. The Hall of Thunder lies in South Qeynos and the Temple of Life is in North Qeynos.");
}
if ($text=~/(ranger|druid) guild/i)
{
quest::say("I believe you shall find the Protectors of the Pine and Jaggedpine Treefolk in the hollow of Surefall Glade.");
}
If you're in a city with known lore, sometimes npcs will add more to it if you follow the story. Like there are lots of Irontoes in the game, so in kaladim, asking about them leads to things like:

Quote:
if($text=~/irontoe/i)
{
quest::say("The Irontoe Brigade was formed by Drumpy Irontoe. It was once the finest band of warriors in Kaladim. They were the elite branch of the Stormguard. King Kazon sent them on a mission to the lands of the Crushbone orcs. At the Battle of Busted Skull they met their fate.");
}
if($text=~/battle of busted skull/i)
{
quest::say("The Battle of Busted Skull was fought in the land of the Crushbone orcs. King Kazon sent the entire Irontoe Brigade to retrieve an ancient artifact from an old dwarven outpost. The battle was fierce. At its end, only a handful of Irontoes made it back. After that, the Irontoe Brigade survivors left Kaladim for good. All except Tumpy Irontoe.");
}
if($text=~/tumpy/i)
{
quest::say("If you frequent the pubs, you just may run into Tumpy Irontoe. He was once the brave leader of the Irontoe Brigade. Whatever you do, do not mention to the Battle of Busted Skull. I am sure that would bring back some bad memories for him.");
}
if($text=~/crushbone orcs/i)
{
quest::say("The army of the Crushbone is deadly indeed. They are great military strategists. It was a legion of them that brought down the great [Trondle Ogrebane]. Speak with Furtog Ogrebane about the Crushbones. He has need of warriors such as you.");
}
if($text=~/Trondle Ogrebane/i)
{
quest::say("Trondle Ogrebane is the legendary dwarven warrior who single-handedly exterminated the ogre clan called the [Mudtoes]. He was recently killed in battle. It took an entire legion of Crushbone orcs to bring him down. Furtog is still fuming about that.");
}
Quote:
===Patrolling Guards that will walk you to destinations
This, has been on a source development list for quite a while. We need to make a case for an npc to route to a destination on a path, regardless of where they are, without walking straight through walls.

I know the guards in halas and akanon should guide players; anyone know if there are others?