View Single Post
Old 01-16-2022, 12:08 AM
Banned

Well, to a point you have the right to remain silent. If you are being interrogated, that means there is already suspicion of you committing a crime. While you can’t be forced to talk (how can anyone force someone to talk, other than maybe actual torture), I think using the coaching of a lawyer to provide explanations and a defense is going to be generally more helpful than staying silent forever. What you say can be used against you, but it can also be used to help you via a judge or jury, especially if you are innocent

But I also don’t see how fake DNA or some other fake evidence could be used to convict someone. Fake evidence can only legally be used to get a confession (in the USA) as far as I know. So if it happened, it doesn’t seem legal or ethical to me

In regards to under qualified public defenders, they still have to pass the bar exam. I’m sure there’s some sort of continual certification requirements. I dunno for lawyers, but as a doctor you can’t just get your MD and sit on your ass not learning anything new for the rest of your career. If you don’t keep up with something like “continuing credits” (I forget the term, basically keeping up with the latest information in medicine as like mini-college courses), then you lose your license to practice. I’m sure law is similar, but could be wrong. So someone shouldn’t be able to stay under qualified forever. But again, not an expert in knowing law