View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I've had luck with PlayOnMac on OSX. Its basically Wine with a utility built over the top.

I didn't use the CD-ROM install option they have in the app. I just copied all of my Titanium CD content to a directory on my hard drive and pointed the installer at it. The CD-ROM installer may work, but I didn't try.

1. Once you get the app installed. Click on the Install icon in the toolbar.
2. Click the "Install an unsupported application" at the bottom-left of the screen.
3. Step through the wizard and choose "Install a program in a new prefix" when it asks.
4. When you get to "What would you like to do before installation?", choose "Configure Wine".
5. When the Wine config menu comes up. Click the "Graphics" tab. The critical part is you have to setup your virtual desktop (for some reason) to be 800x600 at first. I was getting errors at startup until I did this.
6. Back in the wizard, it will ask "Please select the install file to run". Browse to setup.exe in the install folder and let it rip.
7. When the install is done, it will ask you if you want to create a shortcut. Point it to the eqgame.exe file.
8. Now, you have to add the "patchme" argument when it executes. Go to /Users/yourname/Library/PlayOnMac/configurations/installed/ and open up the file in that directory. Mine is called "EverQuest" because that's what I named the application when I installed. The very last line needs to be changed from
Code:
wine "eqgame.exe" $@
to
Code:
wine "eqgame.exe" patchme  $@
9. All of your EQ files will be in /Users/yourname/Library/PlayOnMac/wineprefix/EverQuest/drive_c/Program Files/Sony/EverQuest. You'll need to apply all of the Project 1999 specific patches here.
10. Run it and cross your fingers!

For reference, I'm using Snow Leopard. I have no idea if you would have different results on Leopard. Framerate seems gets low around player/enemy models. Haven't played with the graphics options enough yet to figure out why.