Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Large Bat

Default recommend a class for grouping and raids

I have a 23 shaman right now and cannot get into a group. I prefer grouping and like to raid. What is a class that the server has a shortage of that will get me into a group and eventually a raid?
Old 06-06-2016, 11:29 AM
Fire Giant

Mayyyyyybe we are sometimes looking for a shadowknight or bard for raids, but I don't think the server is particularly short on any class, so play what you like!
Pickahippy - 52 Druid
All priest, all the time.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Fire Giant

shamans are one of the most desirable classes in a grp environment and in a raid environment..stick with it..form your own groups..look around at different zones..

if you like the class that is
Old 06-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Fire Giant

I would urge you to stick with shaman a bit longer rather than starting over yet. You're 23, and Shamans have a major transformation at 24 (ie canni and regen) that will make you much more competent both in a group and solo. You still won't be the go-to healer for groups post 40ish (clerics just get too much of an edge by then), but you offer a lot of utility, and have uber slows that end-game groups and raids often can't do without.

Tldr; you're just at a shitty level for shaman, it will get better very soon.
Maamdak Battlebeard - 48 Dwarf Rogue
Crunkasaurus Rex - 49 Ogre Shaman
Mendak - 51 Halfling Druid (Green)

<Paradox> RIP
Old 06-06-2016, 11:59 AM
Fire Giant

Best way to get groups is to join a guild of like minded players with similar levels. Contact me in game for groups or to discuss joining our guild. We are only a small leveling guild for now (about 20 strong so far) so can't promise much on the raiding front but even if we end up not meeting your expectations long term you are welcome to join for as long as you want.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Planar Protector

I mean how often do rogues get turned down from raid guilds or from exp groups? Prob a good bet right there, not too hard to gear up either.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Orc

I started on P99 a few months ago and have a 53 shaman and 52 enchanter. I've done a mix of grouping, raiding and soloing so far, and still haven't decided what my future is with P99, but I like my prospects for whatever I decide.

What I like about the 2 classes I've chosen so far is that I'm not limited with anything I want to do. The problem with the shaman is that there's almost too many options. It's a valued group/raid class but you can solo to 60 if you want. I like to mix it up with the shaman so I don't get bored.

And the enchanter is fun too but in a different way. It's a high risk/reward class. Always valued, a good chanter can do amazing things in any environment--even solo. Obviously you're not going to have many raids without haste and crack, and you will always have people hanging around you like fiends, but I think our true power comes out the less people are around. I think a good chanter can turn a bad group into good exp, and a bad chanter can turn every pull into a wipe. Sometimes I like having that power, and sometimes it's stressful and I play my shaman instead.

So, the two classes I chose seem to have no problem finding people to hang out with. Both toons get random PUG/guild invites all the time. it's nice having options. The chanter seemed to be the hot chick at lower levels but the shaman seems to get more random invites post 50 if that means anything.

But it should be said that a good guild is more likely to care about the quality of the player more than his/her chosen class, and none of us are locked into only choosing one (or two, or three..)

A group will want you based mostly on your class, so it never hurts to have a "holy trinity" class like tank,cleric,chanter. But a good group will usually ask for you back if you play well regardless of your class. Some of the most fun I've had in the game in my time on P99 have been unconventional groups all like all pet groups and all int caster groups...
Old 06-07-2016, 07:22 AM
Fire Giant

The problem ist that the "best" classes naturally have the most players playing them. Shaman is really great (i am playing one right now), but there are a lot of them around. Same goes for chanter. If you want a group desired class that has a lower number of people playing them try paladin or even warrior. Be warned though that soloing will be slow (paladin) or next to impossible (warrior).

Characters with classes that do great in groups AND solo are of course very numerous.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:45 PM
Banned

People are right to encourage you to stick with the shaman. Shamans are highly sought after in later levels but a little late to bloom early on. However, they aren't particularly more desired in raids than any other class. You need a few -- not necessarily more.

The top raid classes you can't get enough of are:

Bard
Rogue
Cleric
Warrior

Some argue Wizard too
Old 06-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Sarnak

Im a lvl 53 shaman, groups will take me to just buff and slow. You help the cleric by keeping regen up on the casters and melee. You'll make tons of friends who will call on you for groups past 45 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread